Skyview Counseling Resources
Each of the following references to books are, for the most part, linked to Amazon. If you are planning to review or buy a book we would greatly appreciate it if you would use our link, embedded into the title of each book, since we receive a very small stipend back from Amazon to support this website. This action does not impact of the cost of any book you purchase. Thank you so much!
General Issues & Information for Men
1) "The Daily Walk Bible" By Dr. Bruce Wilkinson; NLT ISBN: 978-1414309576 or the NIV ISBN: 978-1414309590; Excellent tool for developing consistency and insight into your relationship with GOD.
2) “Your Daily Walk” by Dr. Bruce Wilkinson ISBN: 978-0310536512 Walk thru any Bible in a year.
3) "Men's Secret Wars" by Patrick A. Means; 2006 ISBN: 978-0800731373 Deals with Men's issues.
4) “When Men Think Private Thoughts” by Gordon MacDonald; 1997; ISBN: 978-0785271635
Addressing manhood, intimacy, sexual intimacy, sexual confusion, father issues and relational issues.
5) "Locking Arms" by Stu Weber; ISBN: 978-0880707220 Men learning to build healthy male friendships
6) "Telling Yourself the Truth" by William Backus & Marie Chapin; 2000; ISBN: 978-0764223259
Dealing with thinking errors and the principles of Misbelief Therapy
7) "Discovering the Mind of a Woman" by Ken Nair, ISBN: 978-0785278115
8) "Wild at Heart" by John Eldridge; ISBN: 978-0785287964. Rediscovering the masculine heart for God.
9) “The Sacred Romance” by Brent Curtis and John Eldredge ISBN: 978-0785273424
Going deeper with God.
10) "The Anger Workbook" by Les Cater, Ph.D. and Frank Minirth, MD. ISBN: 978-0840745743
11) “Changes that Heal” by Dr. Henry Cloud ISBN: 978-0061043451. Understanding past to change present.
12) Neil Anderson has written a number of books on spiritual warfare that are worth considering in light of addictions, spiritual strongholds and our identity in Christ. "Victory Over Darkness" & "Bondage Breaker".
Sexual Addiction from a Christian Perspective
1) “Healing the Wounds of Sexual Addiction” by Dr. Mark Laaser ISBN: 978-0310256571
Understanding the roots, confrontation and treatment for addicts and couples.
2) “False Intimacy” by Dr. Harry Schaumburg ISBN: 978-1576830284 Understanding SA.
3) "Samson and the Pirate Monks…" by Nate Larkin ISBN: 978-0849914591
Understanding the basics to recovery using the 12 Steps. Also view Nate Larkin's testimony at
4) "Faithful & True: Sexual Integrity in a Fallen World." by Dr. Mark Laaser; LifeWay Press;
Text; Workbooks Very helpful workbook dealing with SA issues.
6) "Breaking Free: Understanding SA and the healing power of Jesus" by Russell Willingham & Bob Davies. ISBN: 978-0830817917. Good reviews. Integrates how God addresses our core issues.
7) “The Pornography Trap” By Ralph Earle Jr. and Mark Laaser ISBN: 978-0834119383.
Has good insights into various basic aspects that impact the life of a sexual addict.
8) “At the Alter of Sexual Idolatry” by Steve Gallagher ISBN: 978-0970220202.
Also has a workbook ISBN: 978-0970220219. Very basic, scriptural approach.
9) “Pure Desire” by Pastor Ted Roberts ISBN: 978-0830723355
Hope and healing for those who continually struggle and fail at SA recovery. Biblically sound insights.
10) "Worthy of Her Trust" by Stephen Arterburn and Jason Martinkus. How to rebuild sexual integrity, transparency and trust in a marriage. ISBN: 978-1-60142-536-2
Sexual Addiction from a Secular Perspective
1) “Out of the Shadows” by Dr. Patrick Carnes; 2001 ISBN: 978-1568386218. Excellent basic information about identifying addiction, core beliefs, and the basic steps to recovery. Beware: Some graphic stories.
2) “Don’t Call it Love: Recovering from Sexual Addiction” by Dr. Patrick Carnes; 1991; ISBN: 978-0553351385. This gives a good overview of SA and transformation through a 12 Step program.
3) “Lonely All the Time” by Earle and Crow ISBN: 0965287912.
Excellent insight SA and Codependency. One of the best SA books written.
4) “Facing the Shadow” by Patrick Carnes, Ph.D. Excellent SA Workbook; ISBN: 978-0977440009.
5) "Contrary to Love" by Patrick Carnes, Ph.D. ISBN: 978-1568380599. For therapists and Pastors.
6) “The Sex Addiction Workbook” by Sbraga & O’Donohue ISBN: 978-1572243767.
Self-help workbook that has some good tools but fairly basic.
7) “Predators” by Anna Salter ISBN: 978-0465071739 Deals with Stage 3 & 4 predators and their deception.
LGBTQ Issues and Recovery
Note: The books and organizations below seek to show love and compassion to those who want help in overcoming their struggles with LGBTQ.
1) Websites to Visit and Godly Men to consider...
E) I Am Second
- Real People with Real Stories
F) Francis Chan
I ) Becket Cook
2) Books to read...
A) “Changed # Once Gay Stories” Only at...
Encouraging stories of many people who are no longer gay, lesbian or transgender.
C) "A Change of Affection" by George Carneal. ISBN: 978-1400212309
The powerful, dramatic story of how a successful Hollywood set designer whose identity was deeply rooted in his homosexuality came to be suddenly and utterly transformed by the power of the gospel.
E) “When Homosexuality Hits Home” by Joe Dallas. ISBN: 978-0-7369-6205-6
F) “Desires in Conflict. Hope for Men Who Struggle with Sexual Identity” By Joe Dallas.
ISBN: 9780842381956 (Not being carried by Amazon. Printed by Harvest House Publishers.)
G) “Taking Back Ground” Volumes 1 & 2 Workbooks. By The Portland Fellowship.
H) “The Map” The DVD includes: Sixteen interactive questions answered by several people in a cool 50's diner, and answers by top leaders and three young men and three young women share their
personal stories. This is a great resource for anyone struggling with homosexuality in the Deaf
1) "Facing Love Addiction" by Pia Melody ISBN: 978-0062506047. The Love Addict & Love Avoidant issues.
2) "Confusing Love with Obsession…" by John Moore. ISBN: 978-1592853564. Love Addiction / Obsession.
3) "Sexual Anorexia" by Patrick Carnes. ISBN: 978-1568381442. Dealing with sexual self-hatred & feelings.
3) "Don't Leave It to Chance … Problem Gamblers" by Edward Federman. ISBN: 978-1572242005 Gambling.
4) "The Gambling Addiction Patient Workbook" by Robert R. Perkinson. ISBN: 978-0761928676 Gambling.
6) "Enough Already! … Guide to … Alcohol and Drug Addiction" by Bob Tyler. ISBN: 978-1598002133
An insightful primer to the 12 steps and relapse prevention.
7) "Will power's Not Enough: Recovering from Addictions…" by Arnold M. Washton. ISBN: 978-0060919696
8) "Alcoholics Anonymous: Big Book" ISBN: 978-9562912006 Alcohol Addiction.
9) "Every Woman’s Battle" by Stephen Arterburn and Shannon Ethridge ISBN: 978-1578566853 SA women.
Wives & Family Members Dealing with Addicts
1) “Living With My Husband’s Secret Wars” by Marsha Means. ISBN: 978-0800757106. Good first book.
2) ) "Shattered Vows" by Debra Laaser ISBN: 978-0310273943
Practical tools to help make wise decisions to transform areas suffering.
3) “Hope After Betrayal” by Meg Wilson ISBN: 978-0-8254-3935-3.
Excellent help for when SA invades a marriage and damages the covenant relationship.
4) “Boundaries in Marriage” by Cloud and Townsend ISBN: 978-0310221517;
Workbook ISBN: 978-0310228752
5) “My Husband Has a Secret” by Molly Ann Miller ISBN: 978-0834121843 Good first book.
Provides hope and perspective from one woman’s story.
6) “Love is a Choice” by Dr. Hemfelt, Dr. Minirth and Dr. Meir. ISBN: 978-0785263753
Dealing with unhealthy relationships, understanding Codependency and breaking cycles.
ISBN: 978-0891096207. This book has received good reviews.
8) “Codependent No More” by Melody Beattie. ISBN: 978-0062554468 Classic. Good first book on CD.
9) “Beyond Codependency” by Melody Beattie ISBN: 978-0894865831
10) "Facing Codependence" by Pia Mellody & Andrea Wells Miller. ISBN: 978-0062505897
11) "The Anger Workbook for Women" by Laura J. Petracek ISBN: 978-1572243798
12) “His Needs Her Needs” by Willard Harley Jr. ISBN: 978-0800737719
Building an affair–proof marriage.
13) “Emotional Blackmail” by Susan Forward. ISBN: 978-0060928971
Essential for those in controlling / "Master of the Universe" relationships.
14) "Shame Off You" by Alan D. Wright. ISBN: 978-1590524763.
Understanding unhealthy shame vs Grace.
15) “Restoring the Fallen: A Team Approach to Caring, Confronting & Reconciling” by Dr. Earl & Sandy Wilson ISBN: 978-0854110582. Restoring fallen Pastors and those who are truly committed to restoration.
16) “Heart to Heart About Men” by Nancy Groom ISBN: 978-0891098522. Tools for healing relationships.
17) "Beyond the Bedroom … Adult Children of Sex Addicts" Douglas Weiss. ISBN: 978-0757303258
18) “Under a Maui Moon” by Robin Jones Gunn. Fiction. About a wife who is initially afraid of the unknowns of sexual addiction and recovery. ISBN: 978-1-4165-8339-4.
Pre-Engagement, Marriage, Family
and Relational Issues
1) “Before You Live Together” by David Gudgel ISBN: 978-0830732524 Reasons why some people want to live together and some strong reasons why it is a really bad idea to live together before marriage.
2) “Saving Your Marriage – Before It Starts” Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott Text Book: ISBN: 978-0310492405
Men’s Workbook: ISBN: 978-0310487319 Women’s Workbook: ISBN: 978-0310487418
3) “Saving Your Second Marriage – Before It Starts” by Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott. Text Book: ISBN: 978-0310207481 Men’s Workbook: ISBN: 978-0310240549. Women’s Workbook: ISBN: 978-0310240556.
4) "For Men Only" / "For Women Only" By Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn. Available in Books / CDs
5) “A Celebration of Sex” by Dr. Douglas E. Rosenau ISBN: 978-0785264675
A full guide to sex from a Biblical perspective including drawings that illustrate “how to..”.
Done with tact, grace and wisdom.
6) "Sheet Music … Sexual Intimacy in Marriage" by Kevin Leman ISBN: 978-0842360241
7) “Safe People” by Cloud and Townsend. ISBN: 978-0310210849
Find good relationships & avoiding the bad.
8) “Toxic Parents” by Susan Forward, Ph.D. ISBN: 978-0553381405
“Toxic In-Laws” by Susan Forward, Ph.D. ISBN: 978-0060507855
"Mothers Who Can't Love" by Susan Forward, Ph.D. ISBN: 978-0-06-220436-3
“Emotional Blackmail” by Susan Forward. ISBN: 978-0060928971
9) "The Love Dare" by Stephen & Alex Kendrick. ISBN: 978-1-4336-7959-9
Changing your heart and your attitude about your spouse.
10) "Starved for Affection" by Dr. Randy Carlson. ISBN: 9780842381956
Why we need and crave to be loved.
List of Books compiled by ...
Ross Gunn III
Skyview Counseling LLC
Office / Cell: (360) 991-7700
Mailing Address: PO Box 532605 Kihei HI 96753-9998
Current List as of May 2020