Skyview Counseling LLC is a Christ Centered, Biblically based counseling practice that is located in Maui, Hawaii. Therapy is based on Biblical principles that are found in Mark 7:18-23 and 12:29-31 which describe a modified version of Cognitive - Behavior Therapy called "Heart Therapy".
The primary therapist is Ross Gunn III. (See Counselor Info.) The goal of Skyview Counseling is to provide client(s) a safe and healthy place to resolve their unique issues and problems.
The Biblical Therapeutic Model: Heart Therapy
Therapy at Skyview Counseling is focused on a heart change, not just a temporary change in behavior. The Bible describes both men and women as being made up of three key components: Spirit, Soul and Body (Gen. 2:7; Deut. 6:5-6; Jer. 17:10; Lk. 2:51-52; I Thes. 5:23). Each of these areas has the potential for health and growth and/or the potential to have problems. The heart is the place where we put things that we treasure and hold onto those things that which we most value... our identity, purpose, significance, values, worth, a sense of belonging and security and where we hold accounts of pain. Heart change comes when we examine our problems and issues in light of GOD’s Word while also examining our thoughts, feelings, choices, behaviors and our relationships.
The Heart is the dwelling place of man’s spirit and the Spirit of the Living GOD for those who have embraced Christ as their Savior. Although heart change is a life long process, called “sanctification”, heart change and life change often takes place within the context of counseling.
Briefly, the model is … Out of the heart comes our thoughts, feelings and choices. These choices influence our behaviors/body and our behaviors impact our relationships. Change the heart and a person will begin to think, feel and choose differently. These will then will begin
to influence and change the person’s behaviors and relationships.
1) For individual, couples, students, or pre-engagement counseling paying by cash or by check the rate is $150 for two hours.
This amount is best paid by check to "Skyview Counseling". Your check will act as your receipt for the two hour session.
2) For clients who want to pay for their session using a credit card the rate is $150 per session + a $5 Credit Card Fee = $155.
Clients have two ways they can pay using their credit cards...
A) Clients can use PayPal by depositing the $155 into the account of... Help@SkyviewCounseling.com.
If you use PayPal prior to the session, please print out a PayPal receipt to give to the therapist.
B) Clients can also pay at the time of the session using "Square". This will require that the client have their credit card (not a
debit card) with them and will allow the therapist to scan/swipe their credit card on a "Square" reader.
3) For clients wanting to counsel via the internet / phone / Skype/ "GotoMeeting" / "WeCounsel" / Webex the rate is $170 for two hours, plus a $5 credit card fee = $175. The higher rates help to absorb the fees charged by the HIPPA approved companies that charge for their internet services. This amount must be paid at the time of the session using "Square" or before counseling takes place via PayPal to the account at...
4) Unfortunately, Skyview Counseling does not accept any insurance programs.
For clients who want try to be reimbursed by their insurance company for their counseling, the rate is $150/$175 per two hour session.
The client is responsible to contact their insurance company prior to meeting with the counselor to see what part, if any, that their company will reimburse them with insurance. The client would be very wise to request/demand from their insurance company a "Prior Authorization Code" and should record or at least take very detailed notes during their conversations. At the time of the session the client will pay the full amount ($150/$175) for the session and then the therapist will begin to gather and fill out the insurance information and paperwork so that the client can be reimbursed. Again, it should be noted that because Ross Gunn III is NOT a licensed mental health counselor that most insurance companies will not pay for the sessions.
5) During the course of counseling the therapist often requests that the client do some homework. This often requires that the client purchase and read/listen to some books and/or material. In rare cases, the therapist will also request that the client take and pay for a series of psychological tests that will better help the therapist understand the client's issues.
First sessions can often be confusing or even scary for new clients. It is hard to know what to expect and to know whether or not the counselor and the client will be able to “connect”. To help take the mystery out of the first session here are a few things the client might expect...
1) Ross Gunn III, the therapist, will explain he is operating from a Christian and Biblical Worldview. Often he will ask permission if he can start the session with a brief prayer. The client reserves the right to permit or decline this offer. Declining this offer will in no way impact the therapeutic relationship between the client and the therapist or damage the counseling process. Ross is a great listener and he wants to understand your perspective and struggles. His deepest desire is to help and encourage you to make Godly, adult decisions and to have healthy relationships.
2) Ross Gunn III will share with you that he currently is NOT a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. However, Ross has two Master's Degrees (one in Counseling), has been professionally counseling since 1998 (22 years), has fulfilled all of his education, supervision and client client contact requirements and he was previously a Pastor for 25 years. Ross realizes that it is unusual for a Counselor not to be Licensed. Ross has held off getting state licensed because he understands that he would have to embrace the state's theology on certain topics that fundamentally reject GOD and many of the important points of Scripture. Ross understands the struggle between surrendering his faith in GOD, His Word and being "politically correct". Ross also understands the implications of NOT being a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. Currently he is not allowed to diagnose mental illness or bill for his services through most insurance companies. However, he is able to legally meet with clients, charge them a fee for his services, use the Bible as a point of reference and is able to carry liability insurance as long as he makes it very clear that he is not currently a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Hawaii or in Washington State.
3) The State of Hawaii requires all counselors to do some paperwork before addressing any counseling issues. Ross often will email you a copy of this paperwork before your first session. This will allow you to read it over and fill it out before we begin the first session. We will also briefly discuss the paperwork at the beginning of the first session, this usually takes about 10-15 minutes. Some of the things covered in this paperwork are ...
A) Skyview’s Professional Disclosure Statement: This statement covers issues such as... the therapist’s world view, approach to counseling, education, training and experience, the clients rights & issues, confidentially, length of sessions and therapy, clients responsibilities, counseling fees, the possible use of insurance, payment and contact information. Ross will ask if the client has any questions before asking them to sign a page concerning the client’s “Acknowledgement of Understanding and Acceptance” of these terms.
B) Intake Questionnaire. The questionnaire is fairly lengthy but helps cut down on the number of sessions. The questionnaire is normally emailed to you. You can either print the document and fill it out by hand. Or you may fill it out on your computer and print it.
C) “Client Rights Concerning Unprofessional Conduct”. The client(s) should receive a copy of this document.
4) Skyview Counseling, LLC technically has NO fixed office location. This allows Skyview Counseling and Ross Gunn III to ...
A) Keep the overhead expenditures low so that Ross can keep his counseling rates low.
B) It allows Ross to meet with clients at beaches, parks, restaurants, hotel foyer, churches and sometimes at their offices and/or homes.
To some this may seem like an odd way to meet for counseling but on Maui it has worked well for the last 10 years. Often after the initial meeting most clients enjoy not meeting in a "clinical setting". The location, setting and any concerns for confidentiality will be discussed and agreed upon before meeting.
5) Once all the office paperwork is completed, the client(s) and Ross will meet at a chosen location for counseling. At that time the client can begin to share the reasons they are seeking counsel and the goals they hope to accomplish. Often clients benefit by coming to a session with a list of questions and personal notes to help them stay focused so that they can accomplish their goals.
6) The client should be aware that Ross usually takes a lot of written notes during a session. If the client so desires, the therapist can read them their notes. These notes belong to the therapist and may not be given out without a court order. These notes are kept in a secure location for five years and then are destroyed.
7) Paper, pen and a clipboard are usually available for those clients who wish to take personal notes during the session. Clients are encouraged to bring a folder or notebook to hold their personal notes and homework.
8) At the end of the session Ross often asks the client if they would like to close the session in prayer. The client reserves the right to accept or decline this offer. The client may also transfer this privilege back to the therapist. Declining this offer will in no way impact the therapeutic relationship between the client and the therapist or damage the counseling process.
9) The client should bring cash, a check or a credit card and their calendar to each session. This will help to make the payment process go quickly and will help the client be prepared to schedule their next appointment at Skyview Counseling.
10) Clients will be periodically encouraged to read their Bible and pray so that GOD is invited to change their hearts, world view and perspective. No matter how dark or difficult a situation appears, GOD deeply loves us and desires to walk with us through those dark and difficult valleys of life (Psalm 23).